Recipe by CongoGirl
This is the "Spanish Rice" my mom made growing up. We always had it with tacos. It doesn't taste like the kind you get in Mexican restaurants; it's more moist than that.
Top Review by MsKathy
Yum - I made this recipe last night using a short grain brown rice. I did have to add more water and up the coking time, but I used diced tomatoes in a can instead of tomato sauce. This was a hit, even for my husband, who doesn't care for rice. Thanks for sharing this great keeper recipe!
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can water
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt (to taste)
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour tomato sauce into a pot on the stove.
- Fill can with water and add to the pot.
- Add seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Add rice; stir.
- Cover; reduce heat to low.
- Simmer 20 minutes for white rice or 35-45 minutes for brown rice or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Optional: add one 10-oz can of Rotel tomatoes with chilies (drained) at the start of the cooking process.