Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have used this recipe with all kinds of add-ins and changed it to suit my mood!
- 2 cups organic low sodium chicken broth or 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil, chopped basil (optional) or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley (optional) or 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Bring stock to boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil.
- Immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Heat oil in a heavy nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onions and garlic 5-7 minutes, or until onions are softened.
- Stir in bell peppers and sauté another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cooked rice to vegetable mixture.
- Cook until heated throughout.
- Serve with chicken, fish or pork or serve with another vegetable and a nice salad.