Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 1⁄3 cups long-grain rice
- Heat oil in large frying pan and saute onion and green pepper until tender.
- Drain liquid from tomatoes and add water to make 1 3/4 cups.
- Add to onion and pepper.
- Chop and add tomatoes, along with tomato sauce, sugar, salt and cayenne.
- Heat until mixture boils, stir in rice and pour into a 6-cup baking dish.
- Cover with lid or foil and bake at 350 about 30-35 minutes, until rice is tender.
- Fluff rice with fork.
YUMMY! This rice was enjoyed as part of our Mexican dinner last night. No complaints about this recipe at all. I did add a bit of chili powder and cumin for our personal taste preferences. I really liked the fact I could toss it in the oven to cook and not have to babysit it while it cooked on the stove-top. Thanks for posting, bert.
This is the first recipe I have made off this site. It was great. I made the 6 servings and we will have leftovers. Great flavor, very easy to make. I left out the cayenne since I used spicy tomatoes. I cooked this in my toaster oven and it was PERFECT. I already shared it with a few friends.
Very good recipe. Easy and lots of flavor. Made it just as is except the green pepper (personal taste).