Michael Boyd's Note:
This is the way my family has made rice for at least three generations. The bacon gives it a flavor I don't find in any other Spanish Rice. This make great leftovers, it's in my 'fridge most of the time, just microwave.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix tomato sauce and enough water to make 4-1/4 cups.
- 2Heat a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-low heat.
- 3Brown bacon till just barely crisp, remove and reserve.
- 4Add the white parts of the onions and sauté till it starts to turn opaque, about two minutes.
- 5Add rice and cook, stirring frequently till it starts to turn golden.
- 6Add tomato/water mixture and turn heat to low.
- 7Simmer 25 minutes or so. I cheat and lift the lid after about twenty minutes, and give it a good stir. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- 8Garnish with the bacon and the green part of the onion.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Rice
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.2 mg
- Sodium 492.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 7.2 g