Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the way my family has made rice for at least three generations. The bacon gives it a flavor I don't find in any other Spanish Rice. This make great leftovers, it's in my 'fridge most of the time, just microwave.
- Mix tomato sauce and enough water to make 4-1/4 cups.
- Heat a heavy pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-low heat.
- Brown bacon till just barely crisp, remove and reserve.
- Add the white parts of the onions and sauté till it starts to turn opaque, about two minutes.
- Add rice and cook, stirring frequently till it starts to turn golden.
- Add tomato/water mixture and turn heat to low.
- Simmer 25 minutes or so. I cheat and lift the lid after about twenty minutes, and give it a good stir. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Garnish with the bacon and the green part of the onion.
This rice dish is delicious. It is easy to make using ingredients you generally have on hand. My husband does not like tomatoes, so it's nice that this recipe uses tomato sauce rather than canned tomatoes. I will definitely make this one again, although I would probably cut the recipe in half since it is just the two of us.