Recipe by Knitting Granny
This is my favorite "from scratch" recipe for Spanish Rice. It can easily be doubled or even tripled. Just be sure to use a heavy pan with a right fitting lid and the appropriate "headspace". The amounts of vegetables are variable - for instance, you could double this recipe even if you only had 1 small green pepper. You could also use long grain rice or even brown rice (adjust cooking time for the brown rice - about 50 minutes).
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
I made this as posted and am sorry to say this is not Spanish Rice....The rosemary was so over bearing I couldn't eat it. Without the rosemary and some other adjustments this might work.
- 1 small onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or use spray release or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed in the palm of your hand or crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole tomatoes, whirled in blender for a few seconds or 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup white pearl rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil (or spray release) in pan.
- Add onions and peppers and cook just until vegies are tender.
- Add rosemary and salt.
- Add enough water to the tomatoes to make 2 cups liquid.
- Add tomato liquid to the veggies and stir in the rice.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer and stir.
- Place lid on the pan and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Stir again befor serving.