This is my family's favorite recipe for Spanish rice. You can add more or less red pepper, depending on how spicy you like it.
- 59.14 ml margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled & finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 236.59 ml uncooked white rice
- 411.06 g can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 226.79 g can tomato sauce
- 295.73 ml water
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml chili powder, to taste
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 0.25 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- Melt margarine in a medium saucepan. Add onions, bell pepper, carrots, celery, garlic and rice. Cook and stir over medium heat until rice is lightly brown and vegetables are tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper. Mix well.
- Bring to a boil. Cover saucepan, lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed; stirring occasionally.
Terrific rice that my whole family enjoyd. I didn't have Mexican Style canned tomatoes, so just used regular but we didn't feel that we were missing out on anything. This rice was falvourful and delicious, thanks! Made for ZWT 8 :)
Fantastic! I loved all the vegetables in it, and the addition of cumin. Thank you.
I didn't change a thing. The long list of ingredients seems daunting, but it is totally and completely worth it. The rice came out perfectly cooked, rich with flavor, and held together perfectly. No sad pale pink colored rice here. I couldn't stop grabbing just one more spoonful. The cumin makes this dish so do not skip it!