Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Delicious, fresh tasting rice dish. The secret is to lightly brown the rice, and use fresh squeezed lemon juice. This is our family favorite Spanish Rice recipe. From my daughter. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) canstewed chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- In large saucepan saute onion and rice in oil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onion is translucent; about 6-7 minutes.
- Stir in cumin, oregano, stewed tomatoes with liquid, chicken bouillon granules, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often.
- Cover; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until rice is done.
- Note: Add can of corn and chopped green pepper during the last 5 minutes of cooking, if using.
- Remove from heat; squeeze the lemon in to the hot rice and stir well.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.
- Serve hot, or at room temperature.