Delicious, fresh tasting rice dish. The secret is to lightly brown the rice, and use fresh squeezed lemon juice. This is our family favorite Spanish Rice recipe. From my daughter. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed chopped tomatoes, with liquid
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 fresh lemon
- 1 (8 ounce) can canned corn niblets, drained (optional)
- 1/4 cup green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- 1In large saucepan saute onion and rice in oil over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onion is translucent; about 6-7 minutes.
- 2Stir in cumin, oregano, stewed tomatoes with liquid, chicken bouillon granules, and water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring often.
- 3Cover; reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until rice is done.
- 4Note: Add can of corn and chopped green pepper during the last 5 minutes of cooking, if using.
- 5Remove from heat; squeeze the lemon in to the hot rice and stir well.
- 6Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.
- 7Serve hot, or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Rice
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.3
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 377.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: