Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A deliciously different combination of flavors! Based on the review of 8/6/03, I have changed 3 tbls chile powder to read 3 tbls chile powder (or to taste).
- 2 1⁄2 lbs baking potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced lean bacon
- 2 cups diced green peppers
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped Spanish olives with pimento
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- In a large heavy skillet, cook bacon until crisp, drain and crumble.
- Drain off all but 2 tbls of the bacon drippings, add peppers and onions and cook over medium high heat until lightly browned.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, water, garlic, olives and chili powder.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in capers and let stand 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in bacon and serve.
Updating my previous recipe dated 6th of August. With the addition of chili powder this recipe is now out of this world. I did serve it with cayenne and medium salsa on the side, because some volks like it spicier than others. For me, this recipe was perfect.