Another classic, best served warm or cold at room temperature but never hot. It goes great with summer salads but often I just eat it on its own, picking at it throughout the day. In Spain it is sacrilege to grill the top, you're supposed to flip it over and cook it all over the heat of the hob. I think this causes too many problems and I can't tell much difference in taste anyway. Better to have it neatly turned out onto a plate than try and put the pieces back together I reckon! The olive oil is essential here and really adds something special I think. Don't think of this as an omelette (potato omelette, how boring!) This is a potato dish, and now you shall enjoy :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the potatoes and bay leaves in a pan with enough water to cover.
- 2Bring to the boil and add a little salt.
- 3Boil for 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of your potato slices, add the onion for the last 5 minutes, check the potatoes are cooked and drain thoroughly. Discard the bay leaves.
- 4Heat 4 tbsp of the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium high heat and when hot add the first couple of layers of potatoes and onions. Season with salt and pepper and continue to layer the potatoes and onions evenly in the pan, remembering to season lightly between layers.
- 5Turn down the heat to low and add the beaten eggs to cover the potatoes. They should find their way into every nook and cranny, as well as the bottom.
- 6Cook really slowly, for about 12-15 minutes or so without a lid.
- 7Preheat the grill to medium low, when you think it would be time to flip the tortilla over, drizzle the remaining olive oil over the top, slide under the grill and cook for 10 minutes or so until the top half is cooked through and the very top of the tortilla has browned.
- 8Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a plate and garnish with the fresh herbs if using.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Potato Tortilla
Serving Size: 1 (283 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 361.1
- Calories from Fat 182
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 282.0 mg
- Sodium 104.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 12.0 g