Top Review by Joan Hartman
I've made similar recipes in the past and I think it should be understood how long it takes to cook the potatoes and onions in oil. I figured at least a 1/2 hour, if not more time. The recipe is very authentic though, and I usually make it with one less potato. The suggestion to have some oil in the pan before you pour the eggs is VERY important. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cup into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- 4 large eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a 8-9 inch skillet. Add the slices of potato one at a time to avoid sticking together.
- Alternate layers of potatoes with layers of onions.
- Cook slowly over medium heat, turning the potatoes until tender, not brown.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, save oil.
- Make sure skillet is very clean for later use. In a bowl, beat eggs with a fork until slightly foamy.
- Salt to taste. Add the potatoes, press down to cover potatoes completely with egg. Return to skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of saved oil until smoking point. Add the mixture, spread it out. Rapidly, lower the temperature to medium-high.
- Shake the pan often to avoid sticking.
- When the bottom is brown, cover the skillet with a plate, turn skillet up-side down, remove tortilla, slide off plate with uncooked side down into skillet and cook the other side, Turn several times until cooked