Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 cup olive oil
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cup into 1/8 inch slices
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- coarse salt
- 4 large eggs
- Heat the oil in a 8-9 inch skillet. Add the slices of potato one at a time to avoid sticking together.
- Alternate layers of potatoes with layers of onions.
- Cook slowly over medium heat, turning the potatoes until tender, not brown.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, save oil.
- Make sure skillet is very clean for later use. In a bowl, beat eggs with a fork until slightly foamy.
- Salt to taste. Add the potatoes, press down to cover potatoes completely with egg. Return to skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of saved oil until smoking point. Add the mixture, spread it out. Rapidly, lower the temperature to medium-high.
- Shake the pan often to avoid sticking.
- When the bottom is brown, cover the skillet with a plate, turn skillet up-side down, remove tortilla, slide off plate with uncooked side down into skillet and cook the other side, Turn several times until cooked
I've made similar recipes in the past and I think it should be understood how long it takes to cook the potatoes and onions in oil. I figured at least a 1/2 hour, if not more time. The recipe is very authentic though, and I usually make it with one less potato. The suggestion to have some oil in the pan before you pour the eggs is VERY important. Thanks for the recipe!
Good, but I wouldn't try it for breakfast. I think this is a brunch kind of thing. Takes a little too much coordination to work early in the morning ;)
Pretty simple. Surprisingly good for the few number of ingredients.