Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a recipe from a neat cookbook called, "Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars" by Ceil Dyer. It's another recipe I haven't tried, but would love to.
- 3 -4 lbs pot roast
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle Catalina dressing
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 8 small onions
- 8 small potatoes
- 1 cup stuffed green olive
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Brown meat in 1/4 c dressing.
- Add remaining dressing and 1/2 c water.
- Simmer 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Add onions, potatoes and olives.
- Continue simmering 45 minutes, until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Remove meat and vegetables to warm, serving platter.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 c water to flour.
- Stir until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture to hot liquid in pan.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils and thickens.
- Simmer 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve with meat and vegetables.
OMG! This is without a doubt the very best pot roast I have had in ages. Part of the reason my be that I used a rump roast and I cooked this in my crockpot all day. It was the most tender roast I think I have ever made. I love the flavor of this roast with the onions and Catalina dressing. I used one and 1/2 bottle since I had a partial bottle from another recipe. Cooked the roast about 3 hours with just the dressing and onions, then added in the potatoes and olives and threw in carrots too the last 4 hours. I always want carrots with roast. So, great will make again. Wish I could give this more than 5 stars.