Expat in Holland's Note:
This is comfort food, from my childhood. It is my mother's wonderful recipe, that was probably passed on from my grandmother. Typically the Picadillo is made with raisins added as well. I have omitted the raisins in this recipe, as we do not care for them. However if you wish you may add a couple of tablespoons of raisins, at the same time you add the olives. This dish is served with the Picadillo on top of the rice. It goes lovely with salad on the side.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup white rice (preferably Uncle Ben's)
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced divided
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, sliced or 1/2 cup capers
- salt and pepper
- 1In a pot with a lid, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Add 1 clove garlic minced, and sauté for 1 minute. Do not brown.
- 2Add rice to pan and stir well to combine. Stir constantly until all is coated and hot, about 2 minutes.
- 3Add water to rice mixture and bring to a boil. Cover with lid, lower heat to low, and simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
- 4Turn off heat, and let set for 5minutes.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large fry pan, heat 3 tbsp olive oil, over medium heat.
- 6Add onion, green pepper and 3 cloves minced garlic. Sauté about 5 minutes until onion turns transparent.
- 7Add ground beef and brown well, breaking up large pieces. Stir frequently.
- 8Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, and oregano. Stir well to combine.
- 9Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer mixture for 20 minutes.
- 10Add olives, salt and pepper and simmer mixture covered for 5 minutes.
- 11If mixture is watery, just remove cover and simmer for 5 minutes longer.
- 12Serve immediately over the hot cooked white rice.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Picadillo Con Arroz
Serving Size: 1 (399 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 510.4
- Calories from Fat 236
- Total Fat 26.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 325.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 33.8 g