Recipe by Mareesme
A jug of wine, a loaf of bread and thou!
Top Review by loof
This bread is just wonderful! I used a Kitchenaid mixer as well for mixing the dough and what a wonderful dough it was - soft and fluffy. I made a single loaf (which rose into a huge loaf during the baking!) and topped with poppy seeds. Great taste and texture - thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for the Best of 2013 event, recommended by Cookgirl
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 8 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- sesame seeds or poppy seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in 2/3 C water.
- Combine with salt, sugar, 2C water and 5 C flour. Beat 5 minutes.
- Add enough remaining flour, beating with wooden spoon, until dough is soft. Knead vigorously for 5 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl and brush top with melted butter. Cover and allow to rise until double. Punch down.
- Form into 1 large or 2 small oblong rolls. Place on lightly greased baking sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal. Brush with egg yolk glaze and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Put bread in cold oven and turn oven temperature to 400 dg. Bake for 45-50 minutes. The bread will rise with the temperature.