Prep 12 mins
Cook 45 mins
A wonderful Spanish Paella that's very easy to make and the presentation is great as well. You'll need a very large skillet or a paella pan. The clams are optional, but I would recommend using them.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, diced into ½ inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 12 clams in shell (optional)
- lemon wedge
- green onion
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in large skillet on medium high heat.
- Add chicken pieces and fry 3 to 4 minutes per side until golden.
- Remove from skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Add onions and peppers to skillet.
- Sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, paprika and thyme.
- Sauté 1 minute and add shrimp.
- Sauté until shrimp turn pink.
- Add 1 Tbsp oil if needed.
- Sprinkle rice into pan.
- Sauté, stirring frequently 2 to 3 minutes or until coated with oil.
- Stir in tomatoes.
- Season well.
- Combine stock and saffron and stir into rice mixture.
- Bring to boil.
- Boil for about 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium.
- Return chicken and push down into rice.
- Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Stock should be bubbling.
- Stir rice around and add shrimp, lima beans, red peppers and clams.
- Cook for 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat and cover for 10 minutes.
- To serve, sprinkle with parsley and garnish with lemon wedges and green onions.
Excellent. Very flavorful, and good directions. I added chunks of spicey cajun sausage (precooked) at the same time I cooked the shrimp, and substituted peas for the lima beans (lima beans are evil)
Well, my husband used to live in Spain and to be making a Spanish paella was a bit risky....he is also very picky in food and won't eat at the fear of a knife if he doesn't like it. Well......i didn't adjust the proportions so cooked for 6 people instead of two.....half of it was gone in one go:) To see my slim husband going for 2nd and 3rd portion made me laugh:) i guess it's that good!
Pretty darn good- but missing a little something. But then again, I've only had paella in resturants- I've never made it. So maybe it's just missing lots of calories?? LOL. One thing about the recipe- it is missing a step! I cooked the shrimp like it says in step 7 and 8- but I left them in until I saw that in step 20 it says to add the shrimp! So at some point they were suppose to be taken out. I took them out as soon as I saw this- but it was too late, they were overcooked. Changes made: I used regular long grain white rice- which turned out perfect with the times used (and not dry) and I used peas instead of lima beans and mussels instead of clams.