Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
The national dish of Spain. From Cooking Light May 2000
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 8 jumbo shrimp
- 2 chorizo sausages
- 4 ounces prosciutto
- 1 lb chicken breast (chicken thighs or both)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped, fresh (or canned)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 8 mussels, fresh
- Combine parsley; 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil and garlid to make herb blend. Set aside.
- Prepare broth - mix together water saffron and chicken broth in saucepan.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute chicken and remove.
- Saute sausage and prosciutto and remove.
- Saute shrimp and remove.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Add onions and peppers and saute for 10 min or until soft.
- Add tomatoes, paprika and garlic and cook for 5 min.
- Add rice, cook for 1 min.
- Add meat (not seafood), rice, herb blend, and broth.
- Simmer on low for 10 minutes
- Add mussels - cook 5 min.
- Add shrimp and peas- cook 5 min.
- Sprinkel 1/4 cup lemon juice on top.
- Remove pan from heat, cover with a towel (or similar) and let sit for 10 minutes.
Fantastic. I used a mix of chicken and shrimp. The lemon juice really makes this dish sing as does the saffron. Best Paella recipe I have come upon, updated and authentic ingredients, quick cooking and delicious end product
Other than using bacon instead of prosciutto, and omitting the mussels, which I dont like, I followed the recipe, what a marvellous combination of flavours and colour!!!! This is truly a feast for a king, and one of those dishes which really makes your mouth water in anticipation!! I just cant imagine what you could add to this to make it better, a fabulous restaurant quality meal at home, definitely a great one to share with guests! Thank you Deantini, really enjoyed this, made for ZWT 8
Te chuparse los dedos! I was questionable about some of the step, but this came out beautifully! I followed the directions, but had to use long grain rice and double the amount of chicken since I didn't have fresh mussels (too bad, they really add to the presentation). I used Smoked Spanish Paprika which I purchase just for this dish. The aroma was awesome! I never used it before. This recipe is delicioso and so versatile. Thank you so much for posting. Made for ZWT5.