This has a lot of ingredients, but is very easy to put together. Very delicious served with a hot crusty bread.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 8 ounces chorizo sausages, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric or 1 teaspoon saffron
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 large roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lb medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- In a paella pan or a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat; add chicken and sausage.
- Cook, stirring until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and sausage to a paper towel-lined plate; cover with foil to keep warm.
- Drain off fat from paella pan.
- Wipe pan clean.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining oil.
- Add garlic and yellow onion.
- Cook, stirring until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice and turmeric.
- Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes longer.
- Add broth to pan.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 30 minutes.
- Return chicken and sausage to pan.
- Add bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and peas; cook until shrimp are opague, about 5 minutes longer.
This is an excellent recipe. I added extra seafood. Great flavor!!
i am not going to rate this, just review it. i though it was tasty but made a few changes: no shrimp (ds is allergic), used anduille sausage instead of chorizo , and both saffron AND turmeric. i felt that it was lacking something.. can't put my finger on what, but it needed more flavor or something. i will make it again and play with it. thanks!
Very easy and scrumptious recipe. A few things I would alter - I would cut the chicken into smaller bite size portions (personal preference). I would also get the rice cooking first and once that is simmering then cook the chicken and sausage in a separate pan at the same time. That would save about 20 min. of cooking time. Very good and I will use again! Thank you for posting this recipe!