Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a really good sandwich and great picnic fare.
Top Review by Lorac
Excellent! I made this for dinner using hot Italian sausage and Turkish oregano. The flavors were a perfect offset for the onion and peppers. Seving the omlette in crusty French bread gives this a continental flair. Make these for a unique brunch dish, wrap them in foil for a picnic or serve them for an easy dinner.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage or 6 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crumbled (preferably Mediterranean)
- 1 medium boiling potato, boiled, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 loaf Italian bread (about 1 lb) or 1 loaf French bread, 8 inch round (about 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up into pieces with fork, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon.
- Add onions and garlic to skillet. Cook until golden-brown, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add peppers and oregano. Cook until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add to sausage and gently stir in potato. (can be prepared 1 day ahead – cover and refrigerate).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut bread in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Remove doughy center, leaving a 1 inch shell. Flatten shells lightly with rolling pin. Brush shells with 2 tblsps olive oil. Reassemble loaf and wrap with foil. Place in oven to warm.
- Beat eggs to blend in large bowl. Mix with sausage mixture and season to taste.
- Remove bread from oven.
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat remaining 1 tblsp oil in 8 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture and swirl with rubber spatula. Cook until bottom is light brown and eggs are slightly soft on top, about 5 minutes. Transfer omelette to broiler and cook until top is just set, about 2 minutes longer.
- Unwrap bread and slide omelette onto bottom half. Cover with top, cut into 6 wedges and serve. (this is good hot or cold).