This is a really good sandwich and great picnic fare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage or 6 ounces hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crumbled (preferably Mediterranean)
- 1 medium boiling potato, boiled, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 loaf Italian bread (about 1 lb) or 1 loaf French bread, 8 inch round (about 1 lb)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large eggs
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Cook sausage over medium heat, breaking up into pieces with fork, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl with slotted spoon.
- 2Add onions and garlic to skillet. Cook until golden-brown, stirring frequently, about 4 minutes. Add peppers and oregano. Cook until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes. Add to sausage and gently stir in potato. (can be prepared 1 day ahead – cover and refrigerate).
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Cut bread in half horizontally with long, serrated knife. Remove doughy center, leaving a 1 inch shell. Flatten shells lightly with rolling pin. Brush shells with 2 tblsps olive oil. Reassemble loaf and wrap with foil. Place in oven to warm.
- 5Beat eggs to blend in large bowl. Mix with sausage mixture and season to taste.
- 6Remove bread from oven.
- 7Preheat broiler.
- 8Heat remaining 1 tblsp oil in 8 inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture and swirl with rubber spatula. Cook until bottom is light brown and eggs are slightly soft on top, about 5 minutes. Transfer omelette to broiler and cook until top is just set, about 2 minutes longer.
- 9Unwrap bread and slide omelette onto bottom half. Cover with top, cut into 6 wedges and serve. (this is good hot or cold).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Omelette Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.2
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 306.9 mg
- Sodium 737.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 20.3 g