Recipe by Galley Wench
Post for ZWT 5. In Spain this traditional omelet is better known as a tortilla. Many times enjoyed as a late supper. This is the traditional recipe but I like to add sliced red pepper to it! Recipe from Food Network.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Oh my, like all of GW's recipes this is another winner. I didn't even bother to peel the potatoes, just sliced very thin, followed directions and loved the flip method, worked like a charm. I did add shredded chedder cheese and some fresh home made salsa. The flavors were wonderful and DH has already requested again. Made for July's tag game.
- 3 large eggs
- salt, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and sliced (optional)
- green olives, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk eggs with a fork and add a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil in a frying pan (not one with a heavy base as this will prove to be a hindrance when preparing to do the flip).
- Add the potato and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Add oniond and mash together.
- When the potato starts to brown a little on the edges and is mashed up with the onion in a lumpy fashion then add the eggs and optional red pepper.
- Make sure the potato and onions are fully submerged by the eggs.
- Poke the potato to allow some of the egg to seep into the mashed mixture.
- Fry this gently on a low heat.
- While cooking shake the pan to loosen the tortilla from the base and tidy the edges up with a wooden spoon.
- Do not over cook.
- The middle will still be a little runny and gooey.
- The egg will start setting, as this happens place a plate over the pan, a large enough plate to cover the pan substantially, and with a quick coordinated movement of both wrists 'flip' the tortilla over onto the plate and slide back into the pan to cook the underside.
- Keep shaking the pan lightly so the tortilla does not stick to the bottom.
- Once it feels firm on the edges and soft in the middle (after about 1 minute) then slide the tortilla back onto the plate.
- For the brave heart you can do the flip again if you wish.
- Let the tortilla rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Cut into cake slices or cubes.
- Garnish with green olives.