1/3 Photos of Spanish Omelet
Galley Wench's Note:
Post for ZWT 5. In Spain this traditional omelet is better known as a tortilla. Many times enjoyed as a late supper. This is the traditional recipe but I like to add sliced red pepper to it! Recipe from Food Network.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Whisk eggs with a fork and add a pinch of salt.
- 2Heat oil in a frying pan (not one with a heavy base as this will prove to be a hindrance when preparing to do the flip).
- 3Add the potato and fry for a couple of minutes.
- 4Add oniond and mash together.
- 5When the potato starts to brown a little on the edges and is mashed up with the onion in a lumpy fashion then add the eggs and optional red pepper.
- 6Make sure the potato and onions are fully submerged by the eggs.
- 7Poke the potato to allow some of the egg to seep into the mashed mixture.
- 8Fry this gently on a low heat.
- 9While cooking shake the pan to loosen the tortilla from the base and tidy the edges up with a wooden spoon.
- 10Do not over cook.
- 11The middle will still be a little runny and gooey.
- 12The egg will start setting, as this happens place a plate over the pan, a large enough plate to cover the pan substantially, and with a quick coordinated movement of both wrists 'flip' the tortilla over onto the plate and slide back into the pan to cook the underside.
- 13Keep shaking the pan lightly so the tortilla does not stick to the bottom.
- 14Once it feels firm on the edges and soft in the middle (after about 1 minute) then slide the tortilla back onto the plate.
- 15For the brave heart you can do the flip again if you wish.
- 16Let the tortilla rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- 17Cut into cake slices or cubes.
- 18Garnish with green olives.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Omelet
Serving Size: 1 (381 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.2
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 139.5 mg
- Sodium 71.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 10.6 g