Recipe by English_Rose
Steamed mussels are dressed with a flavorful vinaigrette in this colorful tapa. It is an ideal treat for a party or any event with lots of people attending.
- 30 mussels, scrubbed and beards removed
- shredded lettuce
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 2 tablespoons green peppers, minced
- 2 tablespoons red peppers, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 dash red pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam open the mussels. Put them in a deep pan with the water. Cover the pan and put over a high heat, shaking the pan, until the shells open.
- Remove from heat and discard any mussels that do not open. Mussels can also be opened in a microwave. Place them in a microwave-safe bowl, partially covered, and microwave at full power for one minute.
- Stir and microwave one minute more. Remove any mussels that have opened and microwave one minute more.
- Again remove open ones. Repeat twice more. Discard any mussels that have not opened.
- When cool enough to handle, remove and discard the empty shells. (Mussels can be cooked in advance and refrigerated.) Shortly before serving, arrange mussels on a bed of shredded lettuce on a serving platter.
- In a bowl combine the onion, green and red pepper, parsley, oil, and vinegar. Season with red pepper sauce and salt. Spoon the mixture into the mussels in their shells.