Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was submitted to the Allrecipes.com website by MaryJane. This is her introduction. "This Moroccan recipe was passed down for generations in my family. We usually serve it on the Sabbath night and holidays. It is a favorite! This dish may be served hot or cold according to taste."
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 olives, chopped
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 4 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 5 lbs tilapia fillets
- Heat a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the oil, then cook and stir the onion and garlic, until slightly tender.
- Add the bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, olives, and garbanzo beans.
- Continue to cook until the peppers are slightly tender.
- Sprinkle the parsley, paprika, cumin, cayenne, and chicken bouillon over the vegetables.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Place the fish on top of the vegetables and add enough water to cover the vegetables. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 40 minutes.
Without this great veggie combo this would just be steamed fish. With it, the dish really shines because the flavor of the veggies and spice IS the flavor as the fish really has none on it's own. Didn't have tilapia so used a thicker white fish and it was fully cooked at 25 mins. Yum.
Wonderful dish, easy to put together, not too spicy but very flavorful.
Great recipe! I was looking for a tilapia recipe that was not loaded with cheese and mayo or deep fried. This is it. I made it for company and it was a huge hit. Here are my modifications: I used more olives, dried parsley, used 2/3 of the spices and all of the vegetable with only 2 lbs of tilapia. I sauteed the vegetables and added the seasoning as the recipe says. Then I added 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce because I wanted it a bit saucier. I then put all the veggies in a pan and placed the tilapia on top. I sprinkled it with lemon juice, salt, pepper and some parsley. I also added a bit of water but it really didn't need it. I covered it and baked it until the tilapia was ready. I served it over couscous.