Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
These pastries can be whipped up in batches as large as you care to multiply, so they're nice to keep in mind for entertainment.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, well beaten (divided)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 24 ladyfingers
- 12 graham crackers, crushed into fine crumbs
- hot butter or margarine
- confectioners' sugar
- In saucepan combine milk, 1 egg, granulated sugar mixed with cornstarch, and lemon rind.
- Stir gently over low heat for 5 minutes, or until mixture thickens.
- Cool at room temperature.
- Split 24 ladyfingers.
- Fill with cooled custard filling and put together.
- Dip into remaining beaten egg, then into graham cracker crumbs.
- Fry in hot butter for 4 minutes on each side, or until brown but not burned.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar; serve warm.
- Makes 24 cakes.
- Woman's Day.