Recipe by Moonchild64
Tasty little meatballs to serve as appetizers or serve on rice as an entree. Let me know what you think ... but PLEASE be nice ... I am new here and I scare easily. ;)
Top Review by **Tinkerbell**
I have to admit, when I told DH we were going to have meatballs for dinner he gave me "the look". lol So, I put it off a few days & tonight was the night. I caught him sniffing around the kitchen not 10 minutes into starting the cooking & at dinner all he could talk about was how moist the meatballs were & how much he liked the "non-tomato sauce" sauce. DS had the same compliments. I too really enjoyed the change from canned tomato sauce to fresh whole tomatoes (I used Romas & left the peel on) & the fact that the meatballs were the "star" of the show instead of being overpowered by the sauce. I used the grape jelly because my favorite cocktail meatballs growing up were mom's grape jelly & chili sauce. I served it over fettucini tonight (only because that's the only part of the meal that my picky toddler was going to eat. ;)) but look forward to trying it again with rice. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Moonchild! Made & enjoyed for Fall 2009 Pick A Chef. You've been adopted! :) http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310505&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml salt
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml flour
- 5 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 4.92 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together all meatball ingredients EXCEPT flour.
- Roll mixture into 2" balls.
- Roll each ball in the flour.
- Lightly oil a skillet with olive oil and fry the meatballs on med.- high heat until golden brown.
- Put meatballs in a large saucepan and set aside.
- In the same skillet you fried the meatballs in, add the onions and peppers and cook until tender.
- Add the tomatoes and cook another 8-10 minutes or until tomatoes are the consistency you like.
- Add the wine and cook about 3 more minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour sauce mixture onto meatballs and let simmer on low about 10 minutes.
- Best served on rice or rice-a-roni.
- *NOTE* If you like a sweeter sauce, try mixing 3 Tbsp grape jelly with the wine before adding it to the sauce.