Prep 10 mins
Cook 24 hrs
These olives are simple to make, spicy from red pepper flakes and fruity with the aroma of lemon and orange.
- 1 lb assorted good imported olive (Kalamata, Nicoise, Spanish, Cracked Green, etc.)
- 8 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, cut into 1/2 inch julienne
- 1⁄2 lemon, zest of, cut into 1/2 inch julienne
- 2 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, and marinate at room temperature at least 24 hours.
I loved the different mix of flavors that are in this! Orange and lemon zest, rosemary, fennel seeds, garlic, pepper flakes, wow! Thanks Geema!
These were great and I'll definitely make them again! My only word of caution - the seeds add a lot of crunch to the olives, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but doesn't suit my own tastes. The seeds did soften over time, and it was easy enough to brush most of them off before eating. I had these in the fridge for two weeks, and they only improved with time.
Absolutely yummy! My supermarket has a large olive bar so I grabbed a little of this and a little of that. Can't think of a better way of enjoying them that this preparation. TFS, can't wait to hear friends' comments on this one.