Recipe by Miss Fannie
Description: Shiver me timbers, mates! Barrels of Aborio Rice were plundered from an Italian trading vessel. One Eyed Jack, the ship's Spanish cook served these at Capt'n Morgan's table. They were so fine, the Capt'n rewarded him with a mug of his famous rum. Code: Any
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 6 poblano peppers
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup green peas (frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup black olives (sliced)
- 5 shallots
- 1 chili pepper
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop and seed vegetables and herbs.
- Set aside.
- Simmer the vegetable stock in a pan.
- . Melt butter in a large pot. Saute shallots, garlic, and salt until they begin to weep. Add the rice and saute until evenly coated with the butter. Do not let the rice brown. Add one cup of the hot stock, and stir until the liquid is adsorbed. Continue adding one cup of stock at a time and stirring until the rice is creamy. This should take about 18 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add drained diced tomatoes,thawed green peas, black olives, jalapeño peppers, cilantro, and lime juice. Mix well.
- Spoon rice mixture into poblano peppers that have been halved and seeded. Top each popper with cheese. Place poppers on a foil lined pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.