Recipe by mollypaul
A zingy twist on an old-timey vegetable. From the Southwest chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups tomato puree
- 2 cups lima beans, cooked and well-drained (canned is fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups American cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a casserole dish.
- Saute onions and pepper in butter until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add beans and seasonings and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Place beans and cheese in alternate layers in casserole.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes.