Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Got this off the food channel at 3 am when I couldn't sleep. Lovely low fat dessert, very light and refreshing and you don't need special ingredients. I imagine you could sub the lemon with orange, pureed mango or peach just as easily. I imagine cream instead of milk would add a richer flavour but more calories. I used two eggs instead of one. Cooking time is freezing time.
- Separate egg yolks and whites.
- Beat yolks and sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
- Add lemon juice and zest and milk to yolk mixture.
- Fold in whipped egg whites gently.
- Put into a suitable container for freezing, that will still allow you to whip the mixture in later on.
- Freeze mixture until just frozen through (about 2 hours).
- Take out and whip again for a few minutes.
- Refreeze until needed.
- I don't think this mixture should be kept for a long time in the freezer because of the raw eggs. I imagine no more than a week would be best.