Recipe by MumofJuan
Yummy new year dessert we eat at Christmas in Spain.Because of its ingredients it suits beautifully for Rosh Hashana as well as it is perfectly kosher. You can make it months ahead because it keeps well. A very sweet treat!
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast,peel and grind almonds and nuts till powder.
- Beat egg whites continuously until soft peaks come out (you know, it looks like snow ).
- Mix carefully egg whites with powdered nuts.
- In a suitable pan, heat honey and sugar stirring well with a wooden spatula until boiling and then add the nuts, egg mixture, dash of cinnamon and keep on stirring for 10 minutes until it's thick and all water has evaporated. Don't let it burn!.
- When done, place the resulting paste in rectangular moulds lined with waxed paper. Any rectangular cake pan is suitable only fill it up to 2cm. thick, so you may need some pans.
- Let the nougat bars cool at room temperature and then take them out of the moulds and store them wrapped in wax paper in any air tight container.
- These bars (which are called TURRON in Spanish) are soft, sweet and delicious. Cut them widthwise to serve them. Nothing to do with British nougats!.