Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very tasty and unique soup for two. However it will need to be made as written, any changes and that great wonderful full bodied taste will go right out the window.
- 1⁄4 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 ounces mushrooms, stems and pieces
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- parmesan cheese
- In sauce pan cook beef till browned; drain fat.
- Sprinkle with 1/4 salt and dash pepper.
- Add tomato sauce, carrot, mushrooms, onion, olives, and sugar. Stir in water and wine.
- Cover; simmer for 30 minutes or till carrot is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle individual servings with grated parmesan cheese.
I love that recipe, I got it from the book Better Homes and Gardens (Meals for one or two) !! I've been making it since I received the collection in 1984!!! I like it the way it is but from time to time, I add something like garlic and bifteak spices from Bifteck de Montr?al, and sometimes if I don't have any wine on hand, I replace it with beer and it's different a bit but still as good !!!! we do have to inovate after a couple of years!!!
What a lovely soup Debbwl. We enjoyed the soup it was very tasty, full of flavors that we enjoy, unfortunately we found the wine a little overpowering. Next time I make this, and I will, I will decrease the amount of wine I add. Thank you for sharing this bright, bold, savory soup.
I tripled the recipe cause I got more ground beef to use. This is a great soup but the only thing we liked a bit less is the tomato taste. Not that we don't like the taste of tomato but it was a little bit too much pronounced. I'd have to try with a can of diced tomato instead of tomato sauce. The olives and wine is great :) Thanks Deb :) Made for Make my Recipe tag game