Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 mins
From Bon Appétit March 2009
Make and share this Spanish Grilled Cheese Sandwiches With Manchego and Jamon Serran recipe from Food.com.
- 44.37 ml butter, room temperature
- 4 slice firm white bread
- 170.09 g manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 113.39 g thinly sliced jamon serrano or 113.39 g prosciutto
- 4 medjool dates, pitted, chopped
- Line baking sheet with waxed paper. Spread butter on bread slices, dividing equally. Place 2 bread slices on prepared baking sheet, buttered side down. Top bread slices with half of sliced cheese (1 1/2 ounces each); top cheese with ham, dividing equally. Sprinkle dates over. Top with remaining cheese, then remaining 2 bread slices, buttered side up. Refrigerate 30 minutes. DO AHEAD: Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled. Peel plastic from sandwiches before continuing.
- Heat panini press and cook sandwiches according to manufacturer’s instructions. (Alternatively, heat heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to mediumlow. Place sandwiches in skillet. Place another large skillet atop sandwiches; place weight, such as large can of tomatoes, atop skillet. Cook sandwiches until golden brown and cheese melts, about 4 minutes per side.).