Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 2009)
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 slices bread
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces jamon serrano (or prosciutto)
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Spread butter on bread slices.
- Place two slices of bread on baking sheet, buttered side down; top with half of the sliced cheese and ham, dividing evenly; sprinkle with the dates.
- Top with remaining cheese and the two remaining bread slices; buttered side up. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours covered and wrapped in plastic; peeling plastic wrap away before continuing).
- Heat panini press and cook sandwiches according to manufacturer's directions. (Instead of using a panini press you can heat a heavy skilit on medium high heat; reduce heat to medium low and place sandwiches on skillet; place another skillet on top of sandwiches; place a weight on top of skillet and cook sandwiches until golden brown and cheese melts (3-5 minutes per side).
We enjoyed these tonight and my favorite part about these sandwiches is the combination of the saltiness of the prosciutto and the sweetness of the dates. I didn't have manchego cheese so I used what I had available which was Long Clawson Cotswald cheese and a French Port Salut - the combination worked great. Tagged it for PRMR. Thank you ellie_ for sharing.