Recipe by ellie_
Recipe source: Bon Appetit (March 2009)
Top Review by ForeverMama
We enjoyed these tonight and my favorite part about these sandwiches is the combination of the saltiness of the prosciutto and the sweetness of the dates. I didn't have manchego cheese so I used what I had available which was Long Clawson Cotswald cheese and a French Port Salut - the combination worked great. Tagged it for PRMR. Thank you ellie_ for sharing.
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 4 slices bread
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces jamon serrano (or prosciutto)
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Spread butter on bread slices.
- Place two slices of bread on baking sheet, buttered side down; top with half of the sliced cheese and ham, dividing evenly; sprinkle with the dates.
- Top with remaining cheese and the two remaining bread slices; buttered side up. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to 8 hours covered and wrapped in plastic; peeling plastic wrap away before continuing).
- Heat panini press and cook sandwiches according to manufacturer's directions. (Instead of using a panini press you can heat a heavy skilit on medium high heat; reduce heat to medium low and place sandwiches on skillet; place another skillet on top of sandwiches; place a weight on top of skillet and cook sandwiches until golden brown and cheese melts (3-5 minutes per side).