Recipe by Leggy Peggy
I have been making this recipe for more than 25 years. It is easy-to-make and very colourful. Serve it cold, warm or at room temperature -- I prefer at room temp. It's a great make-ahead recipe because it keeps well for several days in the fridge. Adapted from a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.
Top Review by Tisme
I bought a large bag of fresh beans on special from the supermarket and made this recipe twice with them.<br/>So quick and easy to make, I served it chilled and the family loved this. The left overs were taken for lunches and were just as good next day.<br/>An easy salad I will be making during summer again and again. I am even going to plant beans next season for this recipe. Thanks Peggy.
- 2 lbs green beans, trim ends and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ounces red bell peppers, roasted, skinned and diced (in the USA, you can buy this in a jar as pimiento)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (or more)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (white vinegar is also okay)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 small red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped finely
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- shredded lettuce, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook beans in the microwave for 6-7 minutes until crisp-tender. Or you can cook in a pan with a small amount of boiling water.
- Put the next 9 ingredients (dressing) in a jar with a lid. Cover and shake well.
- Pour dressing over beans, stir well and refrigerate (I usually put this all in a container with a tight-fitting lid and shake the dickens out of it).
- Serve over shredded lettuce -- at whatever temperature you prefer. It takes at least an hour for this to come to room temperature after being in the fridge.