Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Definitely not your ordinary garlic soup!
- 12 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce jamon serrano, finely minced (Spanish dry-cured ham or similar substitute)
- 4 cups water
- 4 ounces bread, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel garlic and cut into large chunks.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- When oil is hot, add garlic and bread cubes and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add water, salt, pepper and paprika and simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes until bread looks as if it is dissolving.
- Add jamon Serrano and stir.
- Crack two eggs into the soup (DO NOT STIR), and allow the eggs to poach until they are set (about 4 minutes).
- Stir only very slightly and serve.