2 hrs 15 mins
This delightful hardy and tasty Spanish soup is easy to make and will please even the most discriminating pallet. It can be served on the side or as the main course. If someone is allergic to shrimp, you may substitute with pork.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place pot on stove with the olive oil on medium high.
- 2Rinse chicken breast to clean, chop into bit sized cubes and place in pot with heated olive oil to sear (for about 5 minutes). Stir to keep chicken from burning and to sear all sides of the cubes. (If you are substituting the shrimp with pork, increase olive oil to 4 tablespoons and add the pork at the same time you add the chicken. You will need to sear the mixture a bit longer as well--searing for 8-10 minutes.).
- 3Add water.
- 4Chop vegetables, grate carrrot and add to pot. A flavorful substitution for the tomatoes is 1/2 (to 2/3) cup of salsa.
- 5Add mojo.
- 6Drain and rinse garbonzo beans and add to pot.
- 7Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover pot for 30 minutes.
- 8Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for at least one hour. The longer soup simmers, the softer the garbanzo beans will become.
- 9Clean/devein shrimp and add to pot 15 minutes (if fresh) to 30 minutes (if frozen) before serving. (I shouldn't have to say this, but just in case -- remember to remove the tails and any exoskeleton from the shrimp.).
- 10*Optional: Add gravy packet just prior to serving to thicken. You can also use flour or corn starch to thicken, but I like using the gravy pack as it adds a bit more chicken flavor to the recipe. (Also, if you are using pork, a pork gravy packet rather than chicken is a delicious way to go.).
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Garbanzo Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (412 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 519.3
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 166.2 mg
- Sodium 1355.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 34.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Goya mojo juice