Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From Southern Living.
Top Review by Qmeg
Everyone in my family enjoyed this dinner! It was spicey without being too hot, and the corn tortillas really added something nice to the flavor. After i pureed my soup, i added in a can of chicken and let it heat together. Delicious!
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 (32 ounce) containers chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- shredded cooked chicken
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped avocado
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips; place strips on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until crisp; transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Saute the garlic and onion in hot oil in a large pot over medium-high heat until tender.
- Add 2/3 of the tortilla strips, tomato, and the next 6 ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Remove and throw away the bay leaves; cool soup slightly.
- Process the soup in batches in either a blender or a food processor until smooth.
- Return soup to the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until well heated. Stir in salt and pepper (add to taste).
- Serve soup in individual bowls with desired toppings and the remaining tortilla strips.