Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from my latest Cooking light magazine. I absolutely LOVE IT. I'm posting the original recipe, but I did make 2 changes. I normally like rare meat, so when I cooked it in a Dutch oven for 2 hours as the recipe recommended, I guess I cooked it to low (didn't want to overcook)and it was not really tender, so...I finish it up the next day in the crock pot. Then it was great! So, next time I will just cook it in the crock pot for 6-8 hours. The second change was: GARLIC. The recipe call for 4 cloves minced. I used a whole head of garlic, but I left the cloves whole, I do not mince them, so it gives a lot of flavor but does not overpower the dish at all. The garlic cloves cooked on the meat juice were wonderful, you could spread them on bread like butter. I had this dish with roasted potatoes one day and with homemade egg noodles another day. I liked it with the noodles much better. Spaetzle or ñoquis would be another great choice.
- 3 lbs boneless bottom round roast, trimmed
- 2 cups yellow onions, thinly vertically sliced
- 3⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, thinly sliced (bottled)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (Spanish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add beef to pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef from pan.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add salt and next 5 ingredients (through saffron); cook 30 seconds or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Stir in sherry and hot pepper sauce, scraping pan to loosen browned bits; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is reduced by about half. Add beef and broth to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Remove beef from pan; cool slightly. Cut beef across grain into thin slices; cover and keep warm.
- Add peas, parsley, and vinegar to pan; cook 5 minutes. Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; stir cornstarch mixture into broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Add sliced beef; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.