Recipe by Grace Lynn
Melding a traditional cream of chicken soup with the classic Spanish almond soup called "cebollada con almendras" results in this rich and creamy mixture with pronounced almond overtones. This recipe is from The Chicken Soup Book by Janet Hazen.
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped cooked white chicken meat
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a heavy-bottomed, 4-quart saucepan, cook the onions, garlic, fennel, and thyme in the olive oil over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the sherry, reduce the heat to moderate, and cook 5 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the chicken stock, almonds, and cream and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to moderate and cook 25 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook 5 minutes, or until the chicken is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each portion with parsley just before serving.