1/1 Photo of Spanish Chickpea Soup
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This recipe was found in The Vegetarian Passport Cookbook. In Spain, this soup is only made when the chickpeas are in season and fresh. The rest of us, unless we know of a place to get fresh chickpeas, will have to use dried or canned.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups chickpeas, cooked (or canned chickpeas that have been well rinsed and drained)
- 2 -3 cups vegetable stock, enough to cover
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons butter
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice, to taste
- 1Add oil and onions to a medium saucepan and saute on low heat, stirring, until very well done.
- 2Add the carrot and chickpeas, and saute for 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
- 3Add stock and bring to boil.
- 4Add seasonings and simmer on low until veggies are tender (about 35 min), adding water if necessary and stirring on occasion.
- 5Remove bay leaf and puree soup.
- 6Add butter and lemon juice.
- 7Simmer until heated through.
- 8Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.1
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 501.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: