1/1 Photo of Spanish Chickpea Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
This is a lovely comforting soup, lifted by the addition of chorizo sausage. A popular winter soup in our house. Time does not include soaking time for chickpeas (though you can use tinned to save the effort)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces dried garbanzo beans
- 4 1/2 ounces chorizo sausage, cut into bite-size chunks
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 onion
- 4 -5 whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon oil
- sliced almonds, toasted
- single cream
- 1Soak the chickpeas on a bowl of water overnight, rinse and drain. You can used tinned chickpeas to skip this step, in which case just drain and rinse.
- 2Heat the oil in a soup pan, fry the chunks of Chorizo until beginning to crisp before adding the chickpeas and cooking for a further 3-4 minutes, stirring.
- 3Stud the onion with the whole cloves and add to the mixture in the pan along with the garlic and coriander.
- 4Pour enough water over to cover ingredients with about ¼ inch to spare, cover with pan lid and simmer for 2 hours, checking every now and then to make sure water doesn't evaporate and adding more if needed.
- 5Remove the clove studded onion and season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6Blend half the soup mixture until smooth, adding more water if necessary, then return to the pot, give a good mix and reheat.
- 7Whilst reheating, toast some almond flakes until lightly brown under the grill.
- 8Serve with a swirl of cream on the top and a sprinkling of the toasted, flaked almonds.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (109 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.3
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 28.0 mg
- Sodium 408.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 19.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: