Bill Hodgkins's Note:
This recipe came from Rachael Ray on the Cooking Channel and is so good. Just a couple of notes... The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup golden raisins, (Yuck!). I leave them out because I hate raisins.. It also calls for 1 cup each of white wine and chicken stock; this made it way too wet, suggest cutting down to about a half cup of each, or leave out the water or the wine depending on your taste, to make a better gravy consistency. And... The rice is awesome, but simple.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 medium chicken breasts
- salt & pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 bay leaf (fresh or dried)
- 2 jarred pimientos, drained & sliced
- 1 cup Spanish olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup golden raisin
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter, chopped into pieces
- 1/3 cup parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1In a medium sauce pan bring stock and butter to a boil.
- 2Add saffron and rice.
- 3Cover pot, reduce heat to low and simmer 18 to 20 minutes.
- 4Fluff with fork.
- 5In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown chicken seasoned with salt and pepper in 2 tablespoons oil about 2- 3 minutes on each side.
- 6Remove chicken and add another tablespoon olive oil to pan.
- 7Add garlic and onions and sauté 2 minutes to begin to soften them.
- 8Stir in bay, pimento, olives and raisins.
- 9Add wine and cook 1 minute, picking up any pan drippings.
- 10Add stock and bring liquid up to a bubble.
- 11Whisk in butter until melted.
- 12Return chicken to the pan and reduce heat to simmer.
- 13Cook 15 minutes.
- 14Serve chicken over saffron rice and garnish with lots of chopped parsley and a generous topping of toasted almonds.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken With Rice, Chicken for Almodovar
Serving Size: 1 (728 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1098.4
- Calories from Fat 478
- Total Fat 53.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 169.3 mg
- Sodium 1097.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 60.3 g