Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I most always add in some chorizo or smoked dry sausage to this just to boost up the flavor a bit. If you have a large electric fypan, then use it for this recipe. Please include the saffron, it really makes this recipe!
- 9 chicken pieces (can use less)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, seded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked converted white rice (Uncle Ben's is best)
- 1 1⁄4 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen peas
- 1⁄2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Brown the chicken well on both sides; transfer to a plate.
- Add in onion, red bell pepper and dryed chili flakes; saute for 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, paprika and rice and saute for 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add in wine and bring to a boil; simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, saffron and bay leaf; simmer for about 6-7 minutes.
- Return the chicken along with any juices from the bowl or plate back to the skillet and nestle into the rice .
- Cook covered over low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (about 20-25 minutes, it might take more or less time).
- Add in the peas and olives, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the skillet and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.