1/1 Photo of Spanish Chicken With Rice and Olives
1 hr 5 mins
I most always add in some chorizo or smoked dry sausage to this just to boost up the flavor a bit. If you have a large electric fypan, then use it for this recipe. Please include the saffron, it really makes this recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 chicken pieces (can use less)
- seasoning salt (or use white salt)
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, seded and chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika (can use more)
- 2 teaspoons dried red pepper flakes (optional or to taste)
- 2 cups uncooked converted white rice (Uncle Ben's is best)
- 1 1/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/2 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced (or to taste)
- 1Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 3Brown the chicken well on both sides; transfer to a plate.
- 4Add in onion, red bell pepper and dryed chili flakes; saute for 5 minutes.
- 5Add in garlic, paprika and rice and saute for 3 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- 6Add in wine and bring to a boil; simmer uncovered for 3 minutes.
- 7Add in tomatoes with juice, chicken broth, saffron and bay leaf; simmer for about 6-7 minutes.
- 8Return the chicken along with any juices from the bowl or plate back to the skillet and nestle into the rice .
- 9Cook covered over low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed (about 20-25 minutes, it might take more or less time).
- 10Add in the peas and olives, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Cover the skillet and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken With Rice and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (581 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.1
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 955.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 12.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pimento-stuffed green olives