This is a great weeknight dish I adapted from a Bon Apetit magazine recipe. Very nice in spring before the good local produce appears at the market.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup madeira wine (a sweet Spanish wine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 orange, cut into 6 wedges (leave peel on)
- 1/2 cup large Spanish olives, brined
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1Preheat oven to 425°F Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over high heat.
- 2Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown in oil until skin is crisp, about 6 minutes per side.
- 3Transfer chicken to a plate and reduce heat to medium. Drain all but 2 Tbsp drippings from skillet.
- 4Add shallots and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- 5Add sherry, boil until reduced by half. Then add chicken broth, orange juice and grated rind. Boil one more minute.
- 6Return chicken pieces to pan, skin side up. Arrange orange wedges and olives around chicken, and place some shallots atop the ckicken.
- 7Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, until done through.
- 8Place chicken on a platter. Bring juices to a boil on the stove and stir in the honey, to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- 9Pour the sauce, oranges, olives, and shallots over the chicken and serve.
- 10Great with rice or cous-cous and lightly sauteed greens.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken With Oranges & Olives
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 956.3
- Calories from Fat 565
- Total Fat 62.7 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 687.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 13.7 g
- Protein 60.6 g