Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great weeknight dish I adapted from a Bon Apetit magazine recipe. Very nice in spring before the good local produce appears at the market.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup shallot, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup madeira wine (a sweet Spanish wine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 orange, cut into 6 wedges (leave peel on)
- 1⁄2 cup large Spanish olives, brined
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 425°F Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet over high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and pepper and brown in oil until skin is crisp, about 6 minutes per side.
- Transfer chicken to a plate and reduce heat to medium. Drain all but 2 Tbsp drippings from skillet.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add sherry, boil until reduced by half. Then add chicken broth, orange juice and grated rind. Boil one more minute.
- Return chicken pieces to pan, skin side up. Arrange orange wedges and olives around chicken, and place some shallots atop the ckicken.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, until done through.
- Place chicken on a platter. Bring juices to a boil on the stove and stir in the honey, to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Pour the sauce, oranges, olives, and shallots over the chicken and serve.
- Great with rice or cous-cous and lightly sauteed greens.
I wasn't able to make this exactly as written, but as good as it was with my changes, I'm sure the true recipe is even better. I thought I had olives, but didn't so substituted capers. I also didn't have shallots so used an onion. In spite of my substitutions, it was a delicious dish and I will be trying it again as written very soon. Many thanks!
This is an absolutely wonderful recipe. There is positively nothing I would change or do differently (and I don't say THAT very often!). The sauce was deliciously savoury-sweet. Served with a saffron rice. Definitely a taste of Spain I'll be having again and again! Thanks for a winning recipe.
I made this as written using about 18 chicken wings. It was so good!!! I used olive oil from Spain. Served it with white rice and a green salad. Made for ZWT5.