1/1 Photo of Spanish Chicken With Chorizo and Potatoes
2 hrs 20 mins
ROV Chef's Note:
I found this online the other day and it was credited to Nigella Lawson. I found that I disagreed with some of the assertions made by both the re-poster and Nigella herself. Now I would never accuse such a sexy woman of being wrong, but I will say that the way I did things turned out great. This recipe reflects my own variation of the original recipe. After cooking and eating this dish I have concluded that this is what I believe to be "broasted". By that I mean the meat has been both braised and roasted, not fried in a pressure cooker. The end result is chicken that is so tender, you can almost spread it like schmear on a warm bagel. The 2 hour cooking time includes the extra 40 minutes I let it sit in the oven after I turned it off. In case you are not familiar with Spanish Chorizo, it's not like the Mexican variety. It is a hard sausage, much like a salami or pepperoni. It's usually seasoned with paprika, and is made from chunks of pork, not ground meat. I have found it in the deli section of my local grocery store.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 425º.
- 2Pour oil into a large roaster pan.
- 3Place chicken in the pan, skin side down and rub it in the oil. Season the chicken with salt, then flip the chicken skin side up and season the skin side.
- 4Add the chorizo and potatoes to the pan and arrange the meat and veg in a single layer. I tried to keep all the potatoes skin side down to aid in browning.
- 5Zest the oranges and sprinkle the zest onto the chicken, along with the oregano.
- 6Add the onion to the pan and sprinkle some salt on the potatoes and onions.
- 7Cut one of the oranges in half and squeeze the juice over the meat. Use a sieve to catch any seeds and pulp.
- 8Place the pan in the center of the oven. Cook for at least an hour. Maybe an hour and twenty, depending on your over. the chicken will be cooked to +180º in about 40 minutes, but the extra time is to get the skin crispy and the meat super tender.
- 9Baste the chicken with the pan juices after 30 minutes, then again every 20 minutes. The pan juices will start to turn orange and are full of flavor. Brush the juices on the potatoes as well.
- 10I was lazy and I turned off the oven when the skin took on a nice orange color and got crispy. I let it sit in the oven for about 45 minutes before serving and the end result. I think that this rest period helped the skin set up and kinda shrink wrap around the chicken. You don't have to give it a long rest, but I think it's worth it.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken With Chorizo and Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (334 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.1
- Calories from Fat 383
- Total Fat 42.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.6 mg
- Sodium 974.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 40.4 g