1/2 Photos of Spanish Chicken With Bacon and Olives
1 hr 34 mins
1 hr 4 mins
Chicagoland Chef du Jour's Note:
My husband dug out "What's for Dinner" by Maryana Vollstedt and combined 2 recipes to come up with this really tasty dish. It makes great leftovers and I was amazed how tender and juicy the chicken breast remained. I love the smokiness that the bacon imparts. I have made this recipe with both tomato sauce and paste, and I have to say I prefer using sauce. Use whatever you prefer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 full boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, pepper to season
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced, separated into rings
- 6 slices bacon, strips cut into 2-inch pieces, precooked if desired see notes below
- 1 cup ripe olives, whole and drained, not optional IMO, I have done with and without and really does make the dish tast
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, I prefer to use sauce as it is less flavor intense
- 1 cup beer, flat beer suggested but not necessary
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- 3Place in a lightly oiled or sprayed 4 quart baking dish.
- 4Cover with sliced onions.
- 5MAKE SAUCE:.
- 6In a bowl whisk together tomato sauce or paste, beer, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 cloves garlic and green chiles.
- 7Pour over chicken.
- 8Top with bacon slices.
- 9Bake uncovered for about 60 minutes.
- 10Add olives and bake 5minutes longer.
- 11Chicken should be done when juices run clear.
- 12NOTE: Bacon options.
- 13Bacon will be cooked but it may not be super crisp (ours was not). After one hour the bacon will be cooked and edible.
- 142/2012 I precooked in the microwave for 4-5 minutes until nearly done, before adding to the top of the chicken, before baking.
Browse Our Top Low Sat. Fat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Sat. Fat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken With Bacon and Olives
Serving Size: 1 (202 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.4
- Calories from Fat 139
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 86.4 mg
- Sodium 1252.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 31.5 g