Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Perfect dish for company, your family or a covered-dish supper. It can be assembled several hours before dinner and popped into the oven about an hour before serving time. An easy one-dish meal you'll serve time and again. For a change, you can substitute shrimp for the chicken or sausage.
- 8 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs low-fat kielbasa
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13x2-inch glass casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut sausage into small bite-size pieces.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat on medium-high heat.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers and sausage.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mushrooms over sausage layer.
- Add rice, chicken bouillon, basil, curry powder, paprika, rice and green peas.
- Gently stir to mix ingredients.
- In preheated frying pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, saute chicken on high heat until sealed on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place in casserole on top of rice.
- Cover casserole and bake 35-40 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Uncover casserole and continue cooking an additional 20-30 minutes until rice and chicken are tender and all water has been absorbed by rice.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: If you like hot& spicy dishes, add 1/2-1 tsp.
- crushed red pepper flakes to rice mixture.