Recipe by BeachGirl
Perfect dish for company, your family or a covered-dish supper. It can be assembled several hours before dinner and popped into the oven about an hour before serving time. An easy one-dish meal you'll serve time and again. For a change, you can substitute shrimp for the chicken or sausage.
Top Review by Derf
This was very good Beachgirl.I did have to cook it a little longer than you recommended, but that could be because I cut the recipe in half and used chicken stock instead of the water and granules. It seemed to take longer for the rice to cook. Also left out the kielbasa, just used 4 bonless skinless chicken breasts. Onions and garlic are always good together but we also loved the peppers, curry and paprika. (I did double the curry)And we added 1 teaspoon of the red pepper flakes. All in all a good recipe, we will make again. Even cutting it in half, it was a lot, I put half in the freezer, thanks for sharing.
- 8 (5 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs low-fat kielbasa
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄8 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x13x2-inch glass casserole with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut sausage into small bite-size pieces.
- Spray frying pan with non-stick cooking spray and preheat on medium-high heat.
- Saute onions, garlic, peppers and sausage.
- Add to casserole dish.
- Sprinkle mushrooms over sausage layer.
- Add rice, chicken bouillon, basil, curry powder, paprika, rice and green peas.
- Gently stir to mix ingredients.
- In preheated frying pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, saute chicken on high heat until sealed on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove chicken and place in casserole on top of rice.
- Cover casserole and bake 35-40 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Uncover casserole and continue cooking an additional 20-30 minutes until rice and chicken are tender and all water has been absorbed by rice.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: If you like hot& spicy dishes, add 1/2-1 tsp.
- crushed red pepper flakes to rice mixture.