Recipe by Aroostook
A throw-it-together and pop it in the oven supper. Use more chili powder or add hot sauce if you really want to spice it up! I just want to add: Many people who have tried this recipe have had to cook it longer than I have specified. A hint: I always use a casserole dish with a heavy tight-fitting lid. I sometimes presoak my rice in cold water for 10 minutes or so. Hope this helps! =) Barb PS...To Freeze : Cool, portion and freeze in a ziploc bag. To reheat: Thaw, place in a covered casserole dish and bake until heated through.
Top Review by Donna M.
Oh YUM! This was perfectly awesome, and so fast and easy to put together. The aroma towards the end of baking had everybody coming to the kitchen to ask what was cooking. I used meduim salsa and it was just right for our tastes...not too spicy, but had a little kick. I used chicken breast tenders and put in a whole can (12 oz. vacuum pack) of corn. I didn't measure the cheese, but I know I put at least a cup of finely shredded Mexican 4-cheese blend on top. The rice I used was just a store-brand long grain. I will be making this often. It is so easy that even my kids could make it and not mess it up. THANK YOU Barbara!!
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup canned black beans, washed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix soup, salsa, water, corn, and beans (optional) and rice in 2-quart shallow baking dish.
- Top with chicken (seasoned with salt and pepper) and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Cover tightly with casserole lid or foil.
- Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes or so.
- Sprinkle with cheese.