Recipe by LARavenscroft
This is a recipe that I found in one of those cookbook's that you buy at the checkout counter. I've made a few changes based on our tastes. The recipe as written calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I usually use boneless skinless chicken thighs as prefer them over chicken breast. If you sub regular rice for the brown rice, you will need to adjust your cooking time.
Top Review by Brookelynne26
This was a great dish and full of flavor. I used white rice because I forgot to pick up brown rice at the grocery. I also cubed the chicken breasts and added in some chopped red and green peppers to make it a nice one dish meal. I sauteed the peppers and onions for a few minutes before adding in everythin else. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing. Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 2⁄3 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken in oil 8 - 10 minutes, turning once, until light brown.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Stir remaining ingredients except cheese into skillet with chicken.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 50 - 55 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.