Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a recipe that I found in one of those cookbook's that you buy at the checkout counter. I've made a few changes based on our tastes. The recipe as written calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I usually use boneless skinless chicken thighs as prefer them over chicken breast. If you sub regular rice for the brown rice, you will need to adjust your cooking time.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 2⁄3 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken in oil 8 - 10 minutes, turning once, until light brown.
- Drain fat from skillet.
- Stir remaining ingredients except cheese into skillet with chicken.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 50 - 55 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
This was a great dish and full of flavor. I used white rice because I forgot to pick up brown rice at the grocery. I also cubed the chicken breasts and added in some chopped red and green peppers to make it a nice one dish meal. I sauteed the peppers and onions for a few minutes before adding in everythin else. It turned out great. Thanks for sharing. Made for Newest Zaar Tag Game.