1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is a recipe that I found in one of those cookbook's that you buy at the checkout counter. I've made a few changes based on our tastes. The recipe as written calls for boneless skinless chicken breasts, but I usually use boneless skinless chicken thighs as prefer them over chicken breast. If you sub regular rice for the brown rice, you will need to adjust your cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 2/3 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded (2 ounces)
- 1Heat oil in 10-inch skillet over medium heat.
- 2Cook chicken in oil 8 - 10 minutes, turning once, until light brown.
- 3Drain fat from skillet.
- 4Stir remaining ingredients except cheese into skillet with chicken.
- 5Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- 6Cover and simmer 50 - 55 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender.
- 7Sprinkle with cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Chicken & Rice
Serving Size: 1 (393 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.5
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 81.0 mg
- Sodium 595.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 34.9 g